Halloumi Focaccia Bread with Tomatoes and Mint | Charalambides Christis
December 13, 2021
Halloumi Focaccia Bread with Tomatoes and Mint
- 650g. Hard Flour, plus more for kneading
- 100g. Fine semolina
- 14g. Yeast (2 sachets)
- 450ml Water, lukewarm
- 2 x Pissourkotiko Τraditional Goat Halloumi, Charalambides Christis, approximately 400gr., Coarsely chopped
- 1 Cup Sun-dried Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 Cup Fresh mint, finely chopped
- 60ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for after baking
- ½ teaspoon Freshly chopped Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- Dissolve the yeast by mixing it well in warm water. Place it in a warm place for about 10' to foam. Then add the oil.
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Place the flour mixture on a kitchen counter/surface, create a gap in the middle like a well and carefully pour in the yeast mixture. Using a fork, gradually bring the flour from the sides to the liquid. Continue to mix, bringing larger amounts of flour and when everything is well mixed, work it with clean, floured hands on a lightly floured counter/surface. Knead for about 5-7’until it becomes a smooth, sticky, really soft dough.
- Add a lot more flour to the counter and roll out the dough into a square of about 50x70cm. If there is excess flour, then brush it off. Add the halloumi, tomatoes and mint to the dough, season with salt and pepper and press gently to incorporate them into the dough. Roll the dough away and form a 70 cm cylinder on the side which then should be cut into 10-12 similar pieces. Seal one side of these pieces by pinching it carefully and placing them in a lightly oiled baking tray resistant to the oven, with the pinned side touching the bottom. Press them lightly with your hand to get their filling out, taking care to maintain their round shape. We keep a 4 cm distance between them because they will expand and become almost one with each other.
- Cover with a lightly floured towel to rest and double in size, for 40' in a warm place.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 250 ° C, on the fan setting, and place it on the middle shelf of the oven.
- Once the focaccia bread expands, put the baking tray/trays in the oven, lower the temperature to 220 ° C and bake for about 25' until golden.
- Remove from the oven and grease with a little oil. Keep them aside for 10' to cool.