Fried Halloumi Recipe | Charalambides Christis
May 10, 2022
Fried halloumi is essential for a meze table. However, do not expect that it will “melt in your mouth” like other kinds of cheese. Halloumi has a very high melting point and retains its shape when cooked, while its taste aspects intensify. Fried halloumi, is served warm and pairs perfectly with tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and, of course, pure virgin olive oil.
Here’s how to prepare it at home!
- 1 package of halloumi
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- fresh mint
- fresh oregano
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes
- balsamic vinegar
- Organise your ingredients and start to warm a non-stick pan.
- Cut the halloumi into thin slices and pat them dry with kitchen roll.
- Rub all sides with olive oil.
- Place the halloumi in the pan for 1 minute on one side and 1-2 on the other, until it turns golden.
- Remove the halloumi from the pan and garnish with fresh mint, oregano, pepper, cut cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar.
NUTRITION TABLE (approximately per serving)
- Calories 145
- Fat 11 gr.
- Carbohydrates 3 gr.
- Protein 9 gr.
- If you see smoke coming from the pan, do not panic! It’s normal. You’ll just have to ventilate the room.
- The cheese will soften slightly during cooking process, but do not expect it to melt. Check it by pressing gently with a spatula.
- The pan should be warm enough before you place the halloumi but not too hot, in order to not burn the cheese.
If you have excess halloumi, you can try it as:
• A topping in a grilled vegetable salad or a tomato salad
• With grilled vegetables and mushrooms in tortillas, pita bread or a sandwich
• Cut into cubes in red sauces for spaghetti, meat or vegetables.
Variations of the recipe:
- You can cut the halloumi into sticks or cubes.
- You can add olive oil, pepper and other spices to the pan and not directly to the cheese.
- You can serve with something sweet (honey, jam) or refreshing (fresh fruit, such as watermelon, cherries, strawberries or other berries).
Make sure that you fry only the amount of cheese that you will consume so that you enjoy crispy and juicy freshly fried halloumi, each time!