Tomato-Halloumi Fritters | Charalambides Christis
Suitable for vegetarians
November 14, 2022
Tomato-Halloumi Fritters! Just try them!
- 500g Cubed Tomatoes, canned
- 125g Charalambides Christis Halloumi, grated
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Basil, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp Fresh Thyme, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp Fresh Oregano, finely chopped
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- Rapeseed Oil, or Corn Oil
- 1 tsp Sweet Chili Flakes, ground
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- Take a large bowl and add the tomato cubes along with the onions. Keep on the side for about 15’ for the onions to soften a bit.
- Add to the same bowl the grated halloumi, all the herbs, chili flakes along with the salt and pepper. Mix well, add the egg and mix again.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour with the baking soda.
- While gently stirring with a spoon we add the flour mixture, a tablespoon at a time, until we have a mixture that is neither too runny nor too dense. Keep in the fridge for about 20’.
- Place a large and deep-frying pan over medium-high heat and add the oil, almost 1.5 cm in height. Allow to heat up well and add a tablespoon of the fritter’s mixture to the pan, repeating the process until the pan is almost full. Don’t overcrowd it as the oil temperature will drop. You may find it useful to keep aside a glass full of water so that every now and then you dip the spoon as it will help for the fritter’s mixture not to stick on the spoon.
- Fry for about 3’ per side, flipping just once and until lightly coloured and remove from the pan with a large, slotted spoon into a plate lined with kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil. Repeat for the rest of the mixture.
- Enjoy with yoghurt, a lettuce salad and some cold ouzo.