Makaronia tou Fournou (Pastitsio) with traditional (xoriatika) pasta, Halloumi and Fetta
November 19, 2020
Cypriot baked pasta - Makaronia tou Fournou (Pastitsio) with traditional (xoriatika) pasta, Charalambides Christis Halloumi and Fetta.
- 400 gr. traditional (xoriatika) pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 500 gr. minced pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry mint
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100 ml of red wine
- 1 cube of beef broth (for food cooked in tomato sauce)
- 1 can (380 gr.) of grated tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 80 gr. butter salt ‘’Country Life’’
- 100 gr. flour
- 1½ litre Charalambides Christis Fresh Milk
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of pepper
- 230 gr. Charalambidis Christis Halloumi, grated
- 150 gr. Charalambidis Christis Feta, crumbled
- First, we cook the pasta following the packaging guidelines. Drain them and throw them in a bowl.
- Preparing the minced meat. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onion for 1 minute to soften. Put the minced meat in the pot and fry it with the onion for 2 minutes until it changes colour. Add the salt, pepper, oregano, dried mint, fresh mint leaves, cinnamon and mix. Pour the red wine into the pot and cook over high heat for the alcohol to be evaporated. Add the beef broth and the tomato to the pot. Stir and let the mixture simmer for 2 minutes. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Finally, add the parsley into the mixture and stir.
- While the minced meat is simmering, prepare the béchamel. In a large and spacious pot, pour the butter, put the pot on high heat and melt it. Add the flour and mix with a silicone spatula until combined. Add the milk and stir with a whisk until the milk is warm. Put the eggs, salt, pepper in the pot and mix with a whisk. Be careful with the mixture not to get stuck to the bottom of the pot. When the cream starts to thicken, remove the pot from the heat and quickly stir in the halloumi and feta.
- Mix the pasta with 1/3 of the béchamel.
- Assemble the pastitsio. Add half of the minced meat to the base of the pyrex and place half of the pasta on top. Repeat the process with the remaining pasta and the rest of the minced meat. Cover the last layer of the pasta with a thick layer of béchamel on top. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ºC on the fan setting for 30 minutes. Let the pasta set and cool just before serving.